About Me

My photo
Hi, Welcome to my blog and thanks for visiting. I'm Carol, married to Bill, with two children. I love to dabble in all types of crafty pursuits and enjoy nothing more than attending workshops and learning new techniques, which I then try to reproduce at home....sometimes with success!!!

Followers

Friday, 12 April 2013

SPLODGEAWAY

Hi All
Well, today I have some really exciting news to share with everyone!!!! I have been invited onto the design team for SplodgeAway!!! I know, I can hardly believe it myself. I am so thrilled to be working for a great team with such brilliant products.You can catch Tom on the Create and Craft Channel @10.00 tomorrow...12th April, with some great new products. I wasn't able to design for this show but next time..........YES!!!
So for now thought I would show you one of the pieces I sent in for the Design Team call. An Altered mirror. I loved using loads of the masks for this project and hope it inspires you in some small way to have a go at using the masks in a different way.
Here is how it was made.....
I measured the mirror and cut 8 pieces of chocolate brown metal sheet from t.s.s., These were cut slightly larger than needed as it allows a little "play" when butting the pieces together. Humungo tape was adhered to the back of each piece and the backing left on. I chose a mask and then ran this and the metal through a cuttlebug.
Next I swiped blending solution over the surface to carefully remove the chocolate brown coating, leaving it almost silver. Two contrasting colours of alcohol ink were then chosen. The first and darker colour pounced quite firmly into all the nooks and crannies created by the mask and then the blending solution was again swiped over the surface to remove the surface ink and allow the paler shade to be applied.. I continued like this till I was happy with the colours.
This method was used for all 8 sections, using different masks and different finishing techniques.
Here I have used the lovely flower mask. Once embossed I used T.S.S. tool and a foam mat to redefine the outlines and and for contrast added some vertical striations. The metal embellishments were from bargain jewellery bits I had bought in the charity shop!!
Very little was neede to highlight this beautiful mask, just the alcohol inks and a gorgeous butterly from my stash!!! Painted in alcohol inks and beaded.
Roses and inks. This image really shows how some of the chocolate finish has been left on the metal to give it an aged feel and how the two inks sit on the lowersectios and then on the surface....sorry for the glare here!!! LOL
This mask worked wonders in the cuttlebug and the redefining really enhanced it. Again for added texture I used the pointed tool and squiggled away in the centres. This really allowed the alcohol inks to get in to all the areas and picked up all the highlights of the scribbles.
Here after the embossing I decided to run a wheel between the squares and also redefined the centres of them, adding some little circles for some added intrest too
This is a section of the gorgeous bamboo mask, which I love!!!! Again the bamboo was defined both inside and outside of the shapes and the centres dotted with a pointed tool for texture. I used a series of mini wheels for the lines in the centre of this panel and some jewellery bits were added with glossy accents............love turquoise.
This is my fav mask of the moment. Again lots of re defining and dotted centres, to really accept the alcohol inks. Little gems were added as shown.
Finally, I left the final piece without any embossing!!1 Just used the mini wheels for texture, These metal jewellery pieces were also treated to some alcohol inks....well it would be a sin not to!!! I was so pleased with the effect of the inks on these beauties.
Once everything was done it was just a matter of assembling. I chose to do the right and left centres first , cutting the pieces to the same size as the interior section of the mirror and then progressed round from there. when I was happy all would fit I removed the backing and adhered to the frame. To merge the joins, I ran a large T.S.S. wheel over the ares. All other additions were added with glossy accents.
Hope you enjoyed seeing this as much as I did making it and that you will have a go at the masks and metal.
Thanks for popping in and any comments you leave to make, which are always so appreciated!!
Bye
Carol xx


13 comments:

  1. Carol, this altered mirror is stunning! I love the different sections and the alcohol ink colors are amazing. Gorgeous embossing and I so love that dragonfly! Hope you are having a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again this mirror is wonderful !!
    Hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely superb! Congratulations, Carol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Carol has been a very busy bee!!!! This is gorgeous, I feel I need to try some metalwork after reading this post & the previous one- just another something to add to the list of "to do".

    Have a fabulous crafting week-end

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Carol, I am certainly inspired by your mirror and look forward to working with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Carol,wow your mirror is stunning! i'm really looking forward to being part of the SplodgeAway DT with you, isn't it exciting!!
    Have a lovely weekend
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Carol and a big warm welcome to the team. Happy Splodgeingx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol, welcome, welcome, welcome! This is a great sample you sent in, no wonder you got the job. Look forward to working with you. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Carol,well deserved your mirror is brilliant. Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so creative Carol, congrats on your news and Thanks for the lovely comment.
    Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally fantastic mirror... and easy to see why they want you on the team! Congratulations!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. STUNNING mirror Carol, imagine how much money you would pay for a mirror like that in a shop!! We look forward to working with you on the team :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so much to catch up on Carol, but this one really caught my eye. You have put so much into this, I just love the overall look. Will email you.Missed you lots...

    ReplyDelete